Tell Duke Energy to clean up their ash ponds!
• Educate yourself about the effects of coal on our lake and community. There are lots of resources right here on our website to help you. Make sure to check out the resources under “Links.” Also be sure to check our the We Love Mountain Island Lake page on Facebook for informative articles and action items.
• Join We Love Mountain Island Lake. Attend meetings and events to learn more about the issues impacting our lake.
• Talk to your neighbors. Are they concerned about Riverbend and the ash ponds? Do they even know the ash ponds are there and drain into our drinking water daily?
• Host a house meeting. Host neighbors and friends for an informational meeting about Riverbend, the coal ash ponds and our water quality.
• Turn your thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter. Use ceiling fans to circulate air as they use much less energy than your HVAC unit does. Not only will this help you use less energy but you’ll save money too!
• Turn off the lights when you leave a room and try to use natural light as much as possible during the daytime.
• Run the dishwasher. Washing dishes by hand uses more water (generally hot water) than running dishes through a dishwasher. This is worth even more if you have an energy-friendly dishwasher.
• Buy energy star appliances. They use far less energy than their older, less efficient counterparts.
• Use power strips. Plug computers, printers, appliances, etc. into power strips and turn off when not in use.
Find more tips on how to conserve energy and save money at these websites: